Monday, December 16, 2019

Portfolio pt3

Mission 3-Methodology Digital Journalism

Review/Reflection

For this mission I was unable to complete it, but as this is a review/reflection section of my blog I felt that this allowed me to still write about the assignment, such as what I did wrong, why i did it, what led me to make the mistake in the first place, if I got another chance what would I do instead.
To start, I did not do the third mission that I  was assigned, this was because the week of a review with my lecturer and I had been working on what I thought was the right thing for Digital Journalism. My group had filmed through the week what we thought was asked of us in the brief but we  were sadly mistaken and we ended filming a sort of spoof of an RTE news room which really wasn't what the mission asked us to do, which was to learn about the historical relationship between journalism and media technologies (print, radio, TV), learn how the Internet has made new modalities of communication possible and learn how digital tools make new kinds of research possible. My group and I misunderstood what our aims were and when we were told this during our review we then had no time left to work on it as we had other responsibilities with other modules.
If I were to do this mission again i would probably do it on a time map, which allows you to place things in history on a map of the world depending on your topic of choice. I plan to do mine on historical events covered by journalism, examples could include the fall of the Berlin wall, the Syrian crisis or the fall of colonel Gaddafi e.c.t. I would to use the resources given to me on the brief and as well as mentioning how my goals are included in this for example how digital tools make new kinds of research possible, ie new special cameras, equipment e.c.t.
In my honest opinion I felt that this mission was a failure as I did not do any work for the mission and wouldn't be able to produce and work(meat) or presentation if I were suddenly asked to do so.
While I did spend some time looking at the brief, I thought it was something which I was able to understand but obviously I was mistaken, if I had of went and asked my lecturer if what I was doing was right earlier on in the week i feel that I may have been able to even grab a small amount of video and have something to present to the lecturer, but this experience has thought me to always ask a lecturer if ever I am doubting what I am meant to do in an assignment.
To conclude I made a mistake which cost me a grade and was caused by a misunderstanding between my group on what was expected of us in the assignment. Also that I was able to learn from this failure and that I can know work from this.

No comments:

Post a Comment